The office of City Manager, the administrative head of government of the City, acts under the direction and control of the City Council.
This office is responsible for the administration of all affairs of the City:
- Enforces all laws and ordinances, and sees that all franchises, contracts, permits and privileges granted by the City Council are observed.
- Directs all departments to conduct studies and oversees organization and reorganization of offices under his/her direction with the responsibility for the appointment and removal of City employees, in the interest of efficient, effective and economical conduct of the City's business.
- Recommends to the Council the adoption of measures and ordinances that are deemed necessary.
- Prepares and submits annual budget and salary plans for City Council approval.
- Directs and supervises all purchasing activities.
- Keeps the City Council fully advised as to the financial conditions and needs of the City, makes investigations into all affairs of the City and all complaints in matters concerning the administration of the City government, and exercises general supervision over all properties of the City.
The City Manager's office is also responsible, through the Human Resource (Personnel) Division, for recruiting, appointing, training, and maintaining a high quality staff to serve the needs of the City.
In addition to supervising the department heads, the City Manager's office is responsible for intergovernmental relations, refuse contracts administration, supervision of the City's public information efforts, including community newsletters, press releases, and media relations.